Thursday, July 22, 2010

Quotes. . . oh how I love them

I love quotes. . . .I love the famous ones, the odd ones, the ones that are jokes between friends, movie quotes-I think you get the picture. 

At an old job, I used to have a quote of the week underneath my signature. . . . yeah, I know. . . .call me a dork.

It was my mission each week to find the best quotes to remind myself and others of the fun, good, amazing things in life.  Of course now, I have no time to search for quotes, but when a good one falls in my lap. . . ah, it's like Christmas.

I had a good friend in college who kept a quote book. . .still does to this day and she would write down the things we (her friends) would say.  I mean, the funny, the dumb, the insightful and profound. . .(ok so they were more along the funny/dumb line, but occaisionally we would be intelligent).  It was so fun to look back on what we said and remember the times we had together.

I have also come across some quotes recently that have really made me pause and think about life (I won't get too deep).  I wanted to share two of those.

"Happiness in unpredictable, the key is to be content." 
I think my sister in law Lorrie said this, but I will have to verify.  At first when I read it I thought, hmm, well why can't I want happiness all the time?  But then I got to thinking and it hit me that I am not happy all the time in my life right now. . . I get frustrated at work and the fact that I have to work somedays, I wish for our kids to be older so we could do more things and yet I am sad at how fast they are growing and how much I feel I am missing.  But honestly, I am content. . . really I am.  I know that life is always changing and I am thankful for that fact (which has been a hard lesson for me to learn, but that is another story) and I have realized that there is a time and place for everything and I am able to rest in that and be content.  That quote is a great reminder on the days I feel myself sliding.

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love."
--Washington Irving
A long lost high school friend has this posted on her wall-her younger brother was killed in May in a motorcycle accident.  I have not found a quote in a long time that moves me quite like this one.  I think every single person in life can relate to this.  We have all known pain and tragedy (some far more than others) and we have all experienced love. . . .and at least for me, I have always felt a little ashamed/embarassed by my tears.  I am a crier. . . I have cried at a Cheerios commercial before and I sobbed through my best friend's wedding.  I cry when I am tired or scared and I cry when others cry (it's like a sneeze-very catching).  This quote made me realize there is purpose in my tears.  That purpose is just for me, but it is so healing and cleansing for me to cry (yes even at Cheerios commercials) and now I see powerful too.  So, break out the Kleenex, I am not going to even atttempt to hold back anymore.

What are some of your favorite quotes?

P.S.  Please pray tonight for the moms and dads who have suffered an infant loss and/or infertility.  This is so heavy on my heart lately.  I cannot imagine the pain.  It seems to be a pain that is not acknowledged in the way that it should or could be.  If you know someone personally dealing with this, send them a card or call them to let them know that you care.

3 comments:

Alyssa@ FromMilitarytoMom.com said...

I didn't know you had a blog!! I'm totally bookmarking, lady, and love it :) Excited to visit often.

Christy said...

Alyssa,
Thanks! I just started and have not been super vocal about it. . . I like people to discover it on their own at this point. . . still kind of bashful about my writing. . . but I am loving it!

Alyssa@ FromMilitarytoMom.com said...

Don't be bashful, lady! I remember being totally freaked out by my first post too :) Would love to read more.