Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Working Girls Unite!

Okay, so maybe my title gives you the impression of a different kind of working girl. . .  but I mean the working outside the home full-time girl. . . sheesh!

I would love some tips on how to balance.

(pausing here for laughter, snorts, "You've got to be kidding me!" comments)

I am not going to lie.  I struggle with how to juggle it all.  And please don't tell me that it's okay to leave a little dust around or a bowl can sit in the sink for a night.  If you came to my house right now you would see that lately I have been having success in spending time with kids, BUT. . . . . . our house is a WRECK!!!!!!!!!! 

Honestly, I do not expect perfection.  Really.  I am fine with some clutter and beds unmade, among other things.  But I think there is a responsibility I have as a human, wife, parent, etc. to keep our home a little lot better than I have been.

My struggle comes from having absolutely no energy after the kids are in bed to do anything like housework.  This may be due to the fact that our kids our still somewhat random about sleeping through the night. 

(Reminder-they are 16 months and 2 1/2 yrs. old.  Yeah, it's awesome.)

I have also learned that I need some time for me at the end of the day to unwind.  I wish I didn't, but that is just how I function.  I cannot go non-stop working from the moment I wake up until I drop into bed in exhaustion.  I have tried and it is not a pretty sight.  Just ask my husband.  Not pretty.

So, what do I do?  Do I not spend time with the kids after being away from them all day?  Do we use only paper plates and plastic utensils?  Buy new underwear for everyone every couple weeks?  And yes, I have been tempted and I have given in to this temptation at times too.  Okay not on the underwear thing, but wouldn't that be nice?!?!?. 

I honestly think though my biggest hurdle is the inability to prioritize what needs to be done, sticking with that, getting things organized so everything has a specific place and finally, just plain old motivation.

So, working girls, I am open to advice.  Comment away!  And if you are like me and have no clue, just tell me.  Then at least I will know I am not the only imperfect mom out there! ;)

2 comments:

Robin Kramer said...

Christy, oh, I can relate! It's hard to juggle, and truly, no one does it perfectly. I've been feeling tugged in many directions, and it can make a girl tired.

I think you tapped into something essential, though: prioritizing. You intrinsically know what's most essential to you. Maybe one clean room, maybe one night out, maybe one dinner a week where you don't have to cook or clean. Try to find that "essential" thing that recharges you, and then stick to it.

Hang in there!

Christy said...

Thanks Robin! Prioritizing is definatley needed. One clean room sounds like heaven!