Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sleep. . . remind me what that is again?

I have always needed sleep. . . maybe more than the average bear, but really, if I don't get a decent 7-8 hours of sleep on a regular basis my emotions, body, mind, etc. goes on a very fast downward spiral resulting in crying, headaches, not remembering what day of the week it is. . . you get the idea. 

I knew this prior to having kids.  But somewhere in my mind I figured that after the first couple weeks (oh how little I knew) my kid(s) would sleep for 10 straight hours every night, peacefully in their own beds. 

I.

Was.

WRONG!

Isaac, being our beloved first born, has a very strong personality.  He is a super happy kid, but also very observant and curious about the world (read: has to be a part of everything).  From the moment he was born he has not liked sleep.  I know a lot of you ( all 1 of you that read this blog) are thinking I am exaggerating, but honestly at the hospital the nurses would bring him to me in the middle of the night every 1 1/2 hours to eat.  Cluster feeding they called it. . .little did they know that this would be a pattern for him for the next month.  Then we were fortunate enough to have Isaac sleep for. . .  3 hours at a time.  Ahh. . . and I would hear friends talking about their little brats angels sleeping through the night at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks, etc. 

I held on to the hope that at the magical 4 month mark Isaac would sleep through the night like our pediatrican said some high percentage (I heard majority) of kids do.  I will give you one guess as to if Isaac slept through the night by that time. . . .

NO!

I could bore you with the 24 months of sleep and lack thereof and every method in the world that we have tried, but I will leave you with this.

Isaac sleeps through the night about once a week. . . he's 2. . . .

Oh and did I mention I have an 8 month old. . . who doesn't sleep through the night either. . . but she only gets up once to eat. . . so she's ok. . . for now.

Sleep, where art thou???

No comments: